Ridge Meadows RCMP Youth Resource Unit
The Ridge Meadows Youth Resource Unit has youth officers that work closely with the school district to ensure that students are learning in a safe environment. Youth Officers work with school officials, parents and students to deal with current issues and or trends with youth in the school environment and in the community as a whole.
- Youth Officers focus on early intervention and crime prevention.
- For example, a youth Officer may be called in to assist with educating a student regarding a point of law on a one to one basis, or they may interact and educate in the class room on topics such as internet safety, bullying, drinking and driving, Halloween safety, drug awareness(DARE), just to name a few. The youth resource unit and the officers rely on the school district as one of our community partners.
- The Ridge Meadows RCMP youth resource unit has identified graffiti and vandalism as one of our priorities for 2010. Stay tuned for an exciting project that is in the works with the secondary school government.
- The youth officers are also focusing on social issues this year. Our officers are being trained to recognize and deal with youth in mental health crisis, and as such, may be a resource for school officials, parents and youth.
- Other projects that we are involved in include: RCMP youth Academy, Office at Greg Moore youth Centre, Youth intra murals, Bike patrol, Kids n Kops Program with the Boys and Girls club, School District 42 anti-vandalism committee, Youth diversion, SAFE plan, Katzie safety committee, Flag raising ceremony.
- Look forward to future articles from the Ridge Meadows RCMP youth resource unit. If you want to know more about any of these programs, or if you have any questions for a youth officer, you may email us at;
Your question may be used in a future article called Ask a youth officer.
- Date modified: